To Parents, Teachers, Alumni, and Friends:
The past several years have been busy and successful ones for the Affton Education Foundation. At the end of 2018, I was pleased to announce the completion of our Development Challenge Grant Campaign, which resulted in us reaching our objective of a $2+ million endowment.
To acknowledge our success, to coincide with our 15th anniversary, and to celebrate “What Makes Affton Special,” we hosted a tremendous Mega-Reunion Gala. Over 400 Affton alumni, supporters and friends came out to Affton High School for this super-special event.
AEF has supported the students and teachers of the Affton School District and community since 2005. Our original mission continues to be our guide - to improve and enhance educational opportunities and resources for all children enrolled in the district, and for the teachers who support them. Our goal is to preserve the high educational standards of the district by providing additional classroom resources and inspiring students to attend college.
The Foundation’s support for Affton students and teachers takes many forms:
- Each year, AEF awards grants for classroom enrichment to teachers at all grade levels, Pre-K through 12. For the 2018-2019 school year, we funded 35 classroom grants totaling more than $28,600, and since its inception, the Teacher Grant Program has awarded 357 grants totaling over $310,500.
- Every year, the Foundation awards renewable $2,500 scholarships and loans to qualifying Affton High School graduates. Reaching our $2+ million endowment goal enabled us to pay out this year for 27 AEF scholarships, totaling $67,500, as well as for 4 interest-free loans.
- In addition, AEF encourages and supports generous alumni in the establishment of 3 other endowed scholarships, and helps with the administration of same: The Rickli Family Scholarship to Truman State University - funded by the Kenneth Rickli family; The Coach Don Kuhn Scholarship to Westminster College - funded by Kent & Judith Mueller; and The Washington University Scholarship - funded by Robert Messey and Kurt Jaeger.
- This year, AEF has taken over the administration of both The Jim Hoots Memorial Scholarship and the new Coach Art Hill Dedication Scholarship. These scholarships, which provide college funds for Affton High School scholar-athletes, are primarily funded by the proceeds from our annual golf tournament
- Finally, every year AEF sponsors a series of overnight college campus visits that are attended by up to 80 Affton juniors and seniors. The trips serve to educate and inform the students as to their various post-secondary options, as well as to provide an opportunity that many might not otherwise be able to experience.
As you can see, we’re on the path for a secure and productive future for our organization, Affton students and the Affton community. Because we’re proud of our accomplishments for the Affton schools, and because we’re grateful for the support of our many benefactors, we’ve decided to host a very special celebratory event. Please join us for: "Celebrating Our Benefactors" A Star-Studded AEF Gala, Saturday, March 7th, 2020.
Kurt Jaeger (‘79)
President, Affton Education Foundation